Medical Student Syndrome
Mohd.Zaki Bin Mohd Zaili, Professor in Animalogy. Shah Nadrin, Professor in Angin-o-logy. Aizat Aziz, Professor in Khayalogy. Aldrin Jasper, Professor in Hentainology.
Universiti Malaysia Sabah, P.O Box 2073, 88999 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.
Medical student syndrome is a constellation of symptoms that are observed on medical student when they are exposed well enough to medicine. It is not known whether it is pathologically or normal for them. 71 medical students are involved in this study and had been followed up for 2 years. The results are 90% of them developed the syndromes. Confounding factors are believed to affect the result of the study. 51 signs have been noted in this study at this time but are believed to increase further in the future. Conclusion, this syndrome cannot be treated but can it can be define as normal so of it is normal, nothing should be done to cure the.
Medical student syndrome is a constellation of psychiatric symptoms that affect the mood ad behaviour of a medical student. Classification of this syndrome has not yet been made and any other available research on this condition is limited at this time. From what had been described earlier that this syndrome is a combination of psychotic and Neurotic disorder , but trials on the drugs for treating this syndrome for both disorder are inefficacious or not bring any benefit to the patient . Furthermore, some friends out there classified this syndrome as a normal condition where human are trying to cope with their stressful environment, one also said that this is the result from a heavy stressing environment that have been experienced by human being thus stimulating their brain to produce more impulse than the normal brain. Patho-physiology of this syndrome has not yet been described because many parties did not see any harm from having this syndrome . Only some people are trying to prove that this syndrome brings either benefit or harm to the patient and the community. This study aims to observed and follow up the patients with the disease to describe more on the signs and the predisposing factor for this condition.
71 subjects are selected for 2 years in this study. Inclusion criteria for subject selection is there must be age between 18-25 years old, must enter any medical school and the school program must be integrated. They also must be available for this study throughout the 2 years course. Other criteria that must be fulfilled is all the subject must take language class twice or one a week through out this two years instead of the medical course they were taken. Other inclusion criteria are they must have at least five >200 pages books to memorize, must have exams every 3 weeks, with two finals exams every years consisting of OSPE,OSCE, Viva, and passing marks for the exams must be 65 ( Grade B) and above. They also must have other assessment such as SSM, drama, presentation, SLP, and 8 hours lectures everyday. Exclusion criteria are pregnancy, too rich too live, and give up. Subjects must have consent to join the study or more precisely, willing to enter UMS medical school. Any legal issues for this study are ignored by the investigator because this study could be ignored also by the legal committee.
Duration of study
All this subjects are put in Medical school UMS for 5 years and 2 years are choose to conduct this study because we did not need more than that to see the sign and symptoms for this syndrome. Half of years are enough but to reduce the bias we choose 2 years or maybe because it is cooler than saying half years study. Every 3 weeks as average, they are given an exam to asses their understanding on medicine. Subjects are exposed to the pressure everyday except Saturday and Sunday where they can rest but burden of works are given to make sure continuous stressful life achieved. Even in holiday, those subjects are still exposed to the burden of works and pressured.
As mentioned above, they are exposed to a serious medical educations trough out this 2 years. Integrated module system is used rather than using block system. the integrated module consist of anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology, microbiology, clinical skills and to stress them further, they are also stressed on Epidemiology, biochemistry, psychiatry and neurology. They are also put into the community based medicine where they are exposed to the community through PUPUK program where they must visit their foster family in Kudat at least three times a year and write a report about all the visit and will be marked 20 percent each years for five years = 100 percent marks. Furthermore, most of the subjects are put in Kampung D hostel where they are pressured by the hostel committee to join hostel activities that are not related to their future and their study. Plus, all the students are exposed to a non-healthy food of UMS and the food is very expensive. This is done to make sure that they are really stressed with their life. They are even exposed to DDT (fogging) frequently to ensure they are free from Aedes but actually this is done to make them suffocated when they are trap in their hostel.
At the final examination at the end of the 2 years study, study week for them are cut so they will have no more time to study for their final. Language class also are conducted to increase their level of tense. Language class are done twice a week in the first year and half of second year. At the end, it was held only once a weeks but the burden of works are still the same especially for those who dared to take Mandarin for their language course. Most lecturers are taken from Myanmar to further increase the ability of the medical student to learn more about Myanmar and their English language slang. Facilities are limited for all the subjects, even wireless internet in the classroom are stopped in the end or precisely through out their second year study.
In their second years study, they are also put into a classroom that is far from the library and the classroom look more like a classroom for engineering student. They are isolated in the school of Engineering so they will not be able to meet other student to socialize themselves. For the 2 years, observation is made and all the related sign and symptoms are noted.
We done any statistical method that we can including Odd ratio, non odd ratio, ddo ratio, Oreo, T-Test, X-Test, Ben test, Anova, Avona, chi square, likas square, anything. But the results still the same at the end. All of us are fighting with each other to decide on who will do the statistical part. We used the latest statistical software to analyze our result but Yahaa has attacked out computer thus any quantitative data are lost thus we only will describe it the result narratively.
90% of the subjects developed the symptoms for Medical student syndrome. Only 10% are saved but we believed this is because the information bias since we did not monitored them 24 hours a day. Male and female both are affected but syndrome are more severely seen in male. As a result, most the subjects developed the medical student syndrome showing that all the exposures that are given to them really effective. Some signs and symptoms that were observed are listed below:
2. While they are not sleeping, most of their times are spend in front of their books.
3. Talk alone without anyone around (like they were having hallucination).
4. They talk about what they read anywhere and anytime.
5. Like to recall anything that they read.
6. Absence signs (blank with no respond for a few minutes while their eyes are looking upwards. 7. Drink coffee a lot to make them stay awake.
8. Force themselves to stay awake at night.
9. Bring books everywhere they go.
10. Afraid of wasting time.
11. Hate co-curriculum activities
12. Able to communicate well with others but they are unsocialized.
13. Like to complain but in the end follow the rules.
14. Wear formal gear everyday.
15. Look very schematically.
16. Watch Anime and Play games when they did not have exams.
17. Sometimes they are aggressive and explosive but most of the time are able to control it.
19. Laugh alone when reading a non-humour book.
20. Laugh at themselves when they confront with problems or troubles.
21. Hate to go outside of their rooms.
22. Not intact with reality.
23. Not up to date with the surrounding events.
24. Deafnism (pretend to be deaf).
25. Hate their School’s Dean.
26. Do not want extra times in their exams.
27. Tension most of the time28. Shouting frequently without any stimuli.
29. Jealous with the other course that have more time to sleep.
30. Love the library at the same time hates it.
31. Like to discuss their knowledge with the others.
32. Suicidal ideation.
33. Over or lower confidence
34. Always feel that they are having no time to do something. (delusions)
36. Love McDonalds.
37. Like to blame others.
38. Very discipline. Did not like to break the rules.
39. Thinking too much when making decision on things other than medicine.
41. Experts in bluffing the answers.
42. Seldom fall sick.
43. Like to relate anything with medicine
44. Talk about sex normally and know so much more about it than anyone else.
45. Like to imagine things.
46. Like to make jokes every times.
47. Always say yes even the answer is no, or say I am not sure. No answers most of the time.
48. Always happy even though they are stressful everyday.
49. Frequently buy expensive textbook.
50. No time to defecate and urinate especially during exam because always thinking about their books.
51. Difficult to find boyfriend/girlfriend.
All of the sign for the syndrome are based on observations only and are limited to only males for 24 hours while female can be only observed less than 18 hours per day. Thus the informations are more likely based on male observations. All of the signs are caused by the exposure they received through out the two years or maybe there are confounding factors such as exposure to Anime, Maggie and coffee or tea side effects. Different family background and genetic factors could also affect the result. Earlier exposure to the same exposure given is also contributing to the errors. Since the selection of the subjects did not restrospectively see the history of the subjects, some of the subject were exposed earlier from the other University such as IMU. This study will provide other parties that would like to investigate more on Medical student syndrome because it is rapidly increase all over the world with the increasing numbers of student that like to join medicine course.
1. Aldrin Jasper. I hate psychiatry exam. Lambcet 98 ( 2007) pp 189-190.
2. Mohd.Zaki Bin Mohd Zaili. I hate that exams too aldrin!. Lambcet 99 (2007). Pp 43-44.
3. All UMS medical student. We also don’t like it. Old Sabah Journal of Medicine 10 (2006). Pp 50-54
5. Shah Nadrin et al. Myanmar lecturers were not that bad at al, they are the one who passed us. Lambcet 99 (2007). Pp.45-46.
6. Aizat Aziz & Joan. Khayalan yang kian mengkhayalkan. Journal Khayalan 12 (2007). Pp 01-??.
7. Ms Mading et al. Sot ba kau!. Lambcet 99 (2007). Pp. glossary.
8. Wilson Bodingin. Science Marine student have more time to sleep. Journal of Marine 88 (2007). Pp.23-50.
9. Adnan Bin Ahman. Pendidikan lagi banyak masa tidur. Journal of Pendidikan 10 (2007). Pp. 10-404.
11. Shah nadrin. Ya ya, Betul betul. Journal of Main angin 98 (2007). Pp. 1-100. 12. Mohd.Zaki Bin Mohd Zaili. Boleh, kalau mau mati la!. Journal of Bipolar 97 (2007). Pp. 1005-1009.